Thursday, February 6, 2014

No Carbs Before Noon...And the Recipe that Makes it Easy!

I'm a self proclaimed candyholic! I can't get enough of the pure sugary, artificially flavored, kid crack...but I also know I have to have balance my love of snacks with healthy foods and exercise if I want to stay in a size 2 (I'll share how I got in a size 2 in another post!).  

One way I keep my sugar cravings at bay is not eating carbs before noon. Now I know, you will hear it's best to eat your carbs in the morning, but I can promise you, if I eat carbs for breakfast, I'm going to be hungry ALL DAY!!! Not just hungry... ravenous! I've also figured out that I have will power in the morning, not so much at night, so why not take advantage of the will power when I actually have it, right? :)

That leads me to the reason of this post. BREAKFAST! I'm not a big breakfast fan, but when I do have it, it's got to be filled with protein and NOT carbs. My morning meal usually consists of a protein shake, or a few almonds (or coffee with way too much cream). However, I have a few favorite recipes I use when my desire for something delicious over powers my morning laziness (not a morning person).


I'll share my favorite recipes over time, but today it's all about MUFFINS! You heard me right. I'm not breaking my no carbs before noon rule with these either! The recipe is PALEO (google it). Oh how I love eating paleo... feels like cheating, but it's not! I don't follow the paleo diet, but I use the recipes on a regular basis because they are very healthy, low carb, full of protein, and super delicious!


Ingredients

  • 2 cups almond flour (almond meal)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, gently melted
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup coconut milk (I was out and used half and half)
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • stevia to taste – about 1 – 2 droppers full, and a little honey (:
  • A 1/2 cup blueberries






Preheat oven to 375 F. Put liners in a muffin tin or lightly grease.
Mix dry ingredients together well. Add wet ingredients and mix.
Scoop into muffin tins (about 1/2 to 2/3 full) and bake for about 15 – 20 minutes, until the muffins spring back to a gentle touch.
Let cool a few minutes in the tins, then gently remove and let cool on a cooling rack. 
Makes 1 dozen muffins.

*This recipe was adapted from fastpaleo.com





No comments:

Post a Comment